Sunday, May 10, 2009

Book 2

I guess now my life has taken a few turns, and now there is much to do.

Due to cutbacks in state funding, pretty much all first year teachers have lost their jobs. This includes me. At a time where I would be lying back and looking forward to a long Summer vacation, I now have to actively seek a job. I have two months to try to find meaningful employment.

Skills:
Mechanical Aptitude
Teaching Experience
Managerial Experience (food service)
Customer Service Experience
Bachelor's Degree: Forensic Biology/ Criminal Justice concentration
Soon to have CDL license

I am well rounded. I guess I just need to get my ass in gear and make it happen.

Sadly, the easiest solution will be the most elusive. I have seen that the local police department is interested in hiring people like me, but I have to get the training on my own time. That spare time, depending on my next job, will too rare of a commodity. Going to the next city that offers paid training is the next best solution. My vehicle is crumbling as we speak. It won't make the daily trip.

I have been offered a job driving a dump truck just as long as I can get a CDL endorsement. Not my ideal job, but it is money at least for the Summer, and I am grateful.

The part that pisses me off about the whole thing is that I have dedicated 7 years of my life to education. First as a substitute, then an ISS coordinator, finally as a science teacher. In the end, a back room decision was made to make me look bad as a teacher. The truth is my students learned as much as anyone else in the school system and my test scores showed it.

Take my job, take my security, but damn it...damn you, don't try to take my sense of worth too. I knew I did good, and I was told I didn't. Just to save some money.

God bless you, I can't

No comments: